The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) is currently accepting applications from healthcare sites to become NHSC-approved until June 16, 11:59 PM ET. NHSC-approved sites are healthcare facilities that provide comprehensive primary (medical, dental, and behavioral) healthcare services to populations residing in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs).
In fiscal year 2012, Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) became the only eligible inpatient site type for application to the NHSC. Currently, there are over 200 CAHs that are NHSC-approved sites including Clearwater Valley Hospital and Clinics located in Orofino, Idaho. Watch their video to learn more about how this CAH is benefitting from becoming an NHSC-approved site.
Benefits for becoming an NHSC-approved site include the ability to:
- Recruit and retain NHSC Loan Repayment and Scholarship Program providers who are currently seeking employment at NHSC-approved sites. Watch this video featuring Nick Box, a physician assistant who is completing his NHSC loan repayment service obligation at Clearwater Valley Hospital Clinics in Orofino, Idaho;
- Post a profile of your site and job openings on the NHSC Jobs Center, which attracts over 22,000 unique visitors each month; and
- Participate in NHSC Virtual Job Fairs, which enable NHSC-approved sites the opportunity to recruit providers in a cost-effective manner since interaction is facilitated online via the internet and phone.
NHSC-approved sites must:
- Be located in a designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) (Contact your State Primary Care Office for more information on HPSAs in your state)
- Demonstrate an affiliation with an outpatient primary care clinic that is NHSC-approved or applying for NHSC approval
- Provide comprehensive primary care and related inpatient services
- See all patients, regardless of ability to pay
- Accept Medicare, Medicaid, and Children’s Health Insurance Program beneficiaries
- Utilize a discounted/sliding fee schedule for patients at or below 200% of poverty
-Services at no charge, or a nominal charge, for those at or below 100% of poverty
-Schedule of discounts for those between 100% and 200% of poverty
-Discounts based solely on family size and income
-Must apply, at a minimum, to services in the emergency room and NHSC-approved outpatient clinic
o The NHSC encourages eligible sites to apply as early as possible. On average the site application can take 2-3 weeks from start to finish.
o A technical assistance on-demand webinar is now available on the NHSC website.
o A conference call designed especially for CAHs will take place on Wednesday, June 4 at 1 PM ET. You can participate in the call by dialing 1-888-324-2689 and entering the following passcode: 1705573.
We look forward to receiving your application! – The National Health Service Corps